Seatuck Long Island Birding Challenge
2021 Birding Challenge:
Join us on Saturday, September 25th for the Seatuck Long Island Birding Challenge, Long Island’s only island-wide birding competition. It helps promote bird watching, wildlife conservation and open space preservation across the region – and raises important funding to support Seatuck’s wildlife conservation work. The event is open to all levels of experience, from expert birders to complete novices. Fall migration provides large numbers of birds and a great diversity of species.
Due to ongoing public health concerns, we ask all birders to participate alone or in small groups and comply with all local health guidelines. Teammates will not be required to be together to identify birds as a group.
We will also be limiting our teams to one of five areas on Long Island: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau, Western Suffolk and Eastern Suffolk. Teams will combine individual lists at the end of the day to create their total team tally.
2021 Birding Challenge Details
• Saturday, September 25 2021 from 5 am to 5 pm
• Teams may bird anywhere in one of five geographic areas:
- Western Suffolk (Babylon, Huntington, Islip and Smithtown)
- Eastern Suffolk (Brookhaven, East Hampton, Riverhead, Shelter Island, Southampton and Southold)
• Team checklists must be submitted to email@example.com by 10pm on 09/25/21.
• Teams of 2 to 5 people – register as a team or join one of ours!
In addition to the event’s overall high tally (which will win annual rights to the Twitcher’s Trophy), first, second and third place winners will be recognized in EACH of the five geographic areas for the following categories:
- Overall Area Total
- College Team
- High School / Middle School Team